Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Multicultural Book: "Whoever You Are" by Mem Fox

"Whoever You Are"
Author: Mem Fox
Illustrator: Leslie Staub
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
ISBN:0152007873










            When browsing through the children’s section in the book store, I found myself having trouble deciding on what kind of multicultural book I wanted to blog about. As I looked through many books, I came across one that caught my attention. This story was “Whoever You Are” by Mem Fox. Since I have heard many of Mem Fox’s stories from the read alouds given in class, I knew this would be the perfect opportunity for me to blog about one of her stories.
            “Whoever You Are” is a beautiful story about what united us all over the world. For example, it starts with “Little One, Whoever you are, wherever you are, there are little ones just like you all over the world.” The story continues to teach young readers about other people around the world. It shows that, every day all over the world, children are laughing, crying, playing, learning, eating and sleeping. However, they may not look the same, they may speak different languages, and their lives may be quite different. There is a common theme with all these children which is inside we are all the same.
Mem Fox shows her passion for multiculturalism by using moving words throughout the story. In addition there are beautiful and ethnic illustrations to go along with the story. Having illustration like this creates a passionate message of unity and humanity that we all hope to instill in children. These bold paintings weave the way around our earth, across cultures and generations. Together, the author and illustrator take the big idea of multiculturalism and handle it by bring it down to a level that children can relate to.
As I read through “Whoever You Are” I realized that this is a great read aloud for children of all ages. This story opens up many doors for students to explore and complete a study of diversity. In addition, children can explore the differences and similarities between children across the globe. Just by the illustrations alone children can get a feel of what life is like in other places. For instance, it shows the Asian children carrying produce to the market or children in India studying outside. Not only is this a good story for teachers to read in a classroom, but parents can read it at home to their children. Parents can read it to their children and take a deeper look at the illustrations an can explain more about diversity. This story shows the interpretation of large, global, and important issues in a way that children can understand and learn from. “Whoever You Are” makes us accept our differences, to recognize our similarities, and-most importantly-to rejoice in both.

1 comment:

  1. I found myself in the bookstore as well, looking for a good multicultural book. I have read the book, "Whoever you are" before. My friend is taking education classes at Touro College and she had to read that book. It is an excellent choice for a multicultural lesson.

    I think it is informational, while also appealing to young children. It teaches children that everyone is the same, but they are also different. We all have our similarities and our differences. It is important to teach children that when they are young. It is also important to teach them to respect those differences and embrace those similarities. We can all learn from each other. That was an important lesson in my story, "Chicken Sunday", as it also can be from your book.

    I think it was significant that you mentioned the illustrations. I noticed the illustrations as well when I read "Whoever You Are". The illustrations are very meaningful to the story. If i remember correctly, there was a picture of the Earth to go along with each new story about each new culture. I think that was important because it reminds children that we are all on the same Earth, and we are all connected.

    I really enjoyed this blog, the whole multiculturalism idea and your specific blog post. It is important to teach children the idea of multiculturalism and there are many good children's books out there to do so.

    ReplyDelete