Thursday, October 28, 2010

Poetry: " A Light in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/A_Light_in_the_Attic_cover.jpg
"A Light in the Attic"
Author: Shel Silverstein
Illustrator: Shel Silverstein
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
ISBN:0060256737












When I knew that we would be blogging on poetry I wasn’t too happy. I have never been a fan of reading poetry. I remember being in school and my teachers reading poetry with my class byt I could never build an interest in it. However, even though I never enjoyed poetry there was one book of poetry that I developed an interest in. That book is Shel Silverstein’s, “A Light in the Attic.” Shel Silverstien is the creator of the beloved poetry collection. Here is a description from his work.
Last night while I lay thinking here
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
And pranced and partied all night long
And sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?...
In this poetry book you will find a variety of different poems. Some of these poems include Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire.  In these poems Shel Silverstein tries to explain the what ifs For example, you will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, what happens when you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel. Although many of his poems are humorous, they make a reader really think about what he is saying.  Although the poems don’t tell a complete story, the readers can use there imagination while reading each poem.. In addition, Shel Silverstein uses illustrations for his poems images for each poem written. In these images Shel Silverstein only uses black and white pencil drawing. These images of his characters are drawn in cartoon format,
Since April is National Poetry Month, using Shel Silverstein’s “A Light in the Attic” is a great way to familiarize students with poetry. This was established in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets. The purpose of National Poetry Month was to increase the interest in poetry. “A Light in the Attic” it is good way to encourage interest in poetry. Shel Silverstein’s poetry is a great motivate. You can use this collection of poems to develop important skills to students. For example, teachers can read several poems to the students and have students draw their own illustrations of the poems, and then share Silverstein’s illustrations with the students. Students can learn to visualize what is being read and then draw a picture of what they see. I believe that having lessons like this can really boost a child’s learning of poetry and using a book like “A Light in the Attic” is a great tool!

1 comment:

  1. A Light In The Attic sounds like an excellent collection to have in a classroom and use with children.

    I think that your description of the book makes it sounds engaging, and I especially liked that you included a short passage from the book.

    I think that idea of using National Poetry Month as a time to encourage student to read, write, listen and be inspired by poetry. The idea of having students create their own illustration to accompany the poems will produce amazing results in classrooms, for students of a variety of ages and and different abilities.

    I think that if executed correctly, you can really use lessons and activities using poetry to create lifelong fans of the genre.

    ReplyDelete